Q: I have a friend who dominates conversations with talk about herself. Do you offer advice about how to participate in a conversation?
A: Of course this is big topic and a great deal depends on the circumstances but there are a few basic tips that can be good for anyone to keep in mind while having a conversation.
- Show interest – listen carefully, ask questions, make comments.
- Look at the person who is speaking.
- Pay attention to the person who is speaking – (don’t spend your time thinking about what you’ll say next or you won’t hear what is being said.)
- Don’t interrupt.
- Speak clearly with a lively tone when it is your turn.
- End the conversation pleasantly.