Q: We’ve determined our wedding cost budget categories, but have no idea how to assign to them. What’s the norm?
A: Every wedding is different. Some couples spend more on the cake than on the bar, or more on the dress than the flowers. Whether you have a large or small budget, the following list shows the average percentage of the total budget spent on each category:
- Invitation: 1 to 11 percent
- Bridal attire: 3 to 5 percent
- Food and Beverage for the reception (excluding cake): 45 to 50 percent
- Wedding cake: 2 to 3 percent
- Reception entertainment, live band or DJ: 6 to 8 percent
- Photography: 9 to 11 percent
- Transportation: 2 to 3 percent
- Other Expenses: 2 to 10 percent
This list is meant to get the basics on the table.