Etiquette Daily

Doctor Who?: Addressing a doctor

September 20, 2018 0 Comments

Q: Two of my female friends are doctors and use their titles socially. How do I address envelopes to them and their husbands? And how do I address another friend who is married to a doctor?

A: If the wife alone is a doctor, address the envelope “Dr. Mary and Mr. John Davies.” If the woman uses her maiden name, write “Dr. Mary Shaw and Mr. John Davies.” When both the husband and wife are doctors, address them as either “The Doctors Mary and John Davies” or “The Doctors Davies.” If both are doctors but the wife has kept her own name, write “Dr. Mary Shaw and Dr. John Davies.” When addressing formal wedding invitations, the title “Doctors” is more properly written in full; for other correspondence, the abbreviation “Drs.” is fine.


September 20, 2018
September 21, 2018